I received the call I'd been waiting for from my surgeon today. The results were back from my MRI and it was not showing anything further to be concerned about. (The thought that MRIs don't always show everything they need to was running through the back of my mind.)The next step. . . My doctor spoke about doing the surgery, re-section, where they go back into my breast to remove more tissue with the goal of getting clear margins. He also asked me if I'd given any more thought or research into what I wanted to do next. Here comes the tough part, which direction do I move in?
If you remember from my first post, I've actually been wondering if it would be better to completely remove the breast. I make that statement because these are the thoughts that have been running around in my head. . .
The tumor that was removed was near the nipple which doesn't leave much tissue left to be removed.
What happens if the tumor is bigger than they thought?
What if they can not get six clear margins? They'll be removing the breast anyway. (It's imparitive that I get clear margins.)
If I have to remove the breast anyway, I'll just have delayed the inevitable.
A few more "what if" questions, a few more "if they" questions and etc. etc. etc.
Here's one of the biggest decisions I'll make in my life about my life and I'm not sure I'm qualified to make it. I'm waiting to speak with my husband and bounce all the ideas and options off of him. (Saying them aloud makes everything a little more real to me.) I'm also checking with my coordinating support person (from the doctors office/hospital) to see who my oncologist might be and if they've had any experience with ACC of the breast. Maybe this person can add some insight based on the information we have so far.
Ok, it's time to occupy the mind with some other thoughts and activities. Till next time. . .



